About Alaska Trails
As a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit, incorporated in the state of Alaska, we provide funding ideas and sources as well as technical assistance for on-the-ground trail related projects and programs such as development, maintenance, easement acquisition, safety, education, and more. Our supporters and partners represent a cross section of trail user groups, businesses, government agencies, community organizations, and individuals. Alaska Trails is the only Alaska statewide group providing care for all Alaskan trails.
Issues & Strategies
- Promote the health, social and economic benefits of trails by educating users through forums, conferences, information materials, training and other activities.
- Preserve and improve public trail access by assisting public and private organizations in forming coordinated programs, policies, and standards.
- Promote sustainable trail systems for all users by developing and providing technical assistance for trail projects.
- Advocating for trails access, and public support.
- Building the leaders of tomorrow’s trails.
- Connecting volunteers to trails through stewardship.
- Convening trail users and trail-focused groups to share, partner, and build.
- Educating Alaskans of the value of sustainable trails.
Goals at a Glance
- Solid organizational infrastructure with diversified, sustainable program and organizational funding
- Improved and expanded trails and trail policies, for a diverse user group.
- Expand Alaska Trails capacity to grow and sustain the goals of the Alaska Trails Initiative (ATI)
- Increased use and value from Alaska’s existing trails
- Increased or reinstated funding of existing and/ or needed trails programs
- Statewide and self-sustaining Alaska Trail Stewards program
- Educate and empower trail users, advocates, volunteers, technicians and land managers