About Alaska Trails
As a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit, incorporated in the state of Alaska, we provide funding ideas and sources as well as technical assistance for on-the-ground trail related projects and programs such as development, maintenance, easement acquisition, safety, education, and more. Our supporters and partners represent a cross section of trail user groups, businesses, government agencies, community organizations, and individuals. Alaska Trails is the only Alaska statewide group providing care for all Alaskan trails.
Issues & Strategies
- Promote the health, social and economic benefits of trails by educating users through forums, conferences, information materials, training and other activities.
- Preserve and improve public trail access by assisting public and private organizations in forming coordinated programs, policies, and standards.
- Promote sustainable trail systems for all users by developing and providing technical assistance for trail projects.
Alaska Trails wants to make the wonders of Alaska accessible for all kinds of people, for all kinds of uses, without compromising Alaska's beauty, natural history, cultural integrity or landownership interests. So then, here's how we see ourselves:
- We are your trail champions. We are a voice for better and safer trails for everyone.
- We are your trail connection. We foster cooperation and communication between individual trail users, trail groups, communities, villages, government agencies, landowners, and land managers. Our partnerships extend to every user and every corner of the state.
- We are your trail watchdog. We ensure trails are protected through legal easements or other means, and that public and private funding is secure for trail building, trail maintenance and management.
- We are your trail teachers. We build better trails, and we develop better trail-users. We educate trail users about trail etiquette and promote cooperation between users. We teach trail building methods and trail route selection.
- We are your trail library. We share information and resources about trails, trail building and safety.
- We are your trail bank. We help other trail organizations finance trail projects and programs by leveraging public and private grants and funding.
- We are your trail compass. We guide the future of trails in Alaska. We lead the way for better trails and happy trail users.
- We are your trail sparkplug, your trail snack. We motivate and keep the fire burning for trails and access to our great state!